Capturing the imagination since the 18th century, Plas Newydd in Llangollen was home to the Ladies of Llangollen, Lady Eleanor Butler and Miss Sarah Ponsonby, from 1780 – 1829. Butler and Ponsonby had eloped from Ireland to set up house together. They became celebrated throughout the country as the story of their close friendship spread through Regency Society.
Originally a five-roomed stone cottage, over the years the house was enlarged to include many gothic features. The house retains the Gothic features they introduced.
Plas Newydd is set in peaceful gardens surrounded by trees and include the font from the nearby Valle Crucis Abbey.
The circle of stones in the grounds of Plas Newydd were used for the 1908 Llangollen National Eisteddfod.
Nearest car park + postcode: Hill St, Llangollen LL20 8AW
Nearest rail station: Chirk or Ruabon
Nearest town: Llangollen
Hill Street, Llangollen, LL20 8AW