Distance to here: km ( miles)
The border town of Chirk is today a thriving hub, home to a number of local shops and businesses.Add to itinerary
The border town of Chirk stands on the escarpment above the point at which the rivers Ceiriog and Dee meet. It began as a planned mediaeval borough but in the 19th century vital road, rail and canal links were developed. Chirk then became a staging post on the London to Holyhead mail road, whilst the Llangollen branch of the Shropshire Union Canal reached Chirk in 1801 and its arrival helped Chirk grow as a coal mining village.
Today Chirk town centre is a thriving hub, home to a number of local shops and businesses.