The small English village of Chirk Bank sits just on the English / Welsh border of the World Heritage Site. Picture perfect canal view cottages line the tow path, which were originally built for the staff of the Glyn Valley Tramway, which the Shropshire Union operated from its opening in 1873 until 1881.
The bridge over the canal at Chirk Bank, which leads towards Western Rhyn is interesting in that the deck is built on curved cast iron beams, enabling the road surface to be as low as possible. The road here was the original turnpike road, which was later replaced by Telford’s Holyhead Road.
As well as a lovely stroll along the canal, there are a variety of walking, cycling and running routes near to Chirk Bank.
Nearest car park and postcode: Park at Glyn Wylfa in Chirk (LL14 5BS) and walk along canal to Chirk Bank
Nearest rail station: Chirk
Nearest town: Chirk
Chirk Bank, Shropshire, LL14 5DU