Skip Navigation
Back Menu Cymraeg
View location
View images
Close
Chirk from Castle Road

St Mary’s Church

Distance to here: km ( miles)

St Mary's church is an impressive Grade 1 listed building and is mostly 15th century with some remnants of an earlier building. It has a remarkable collection of 18th century memorials of the Myddelton family, former owners of Chirk Castle, and the Trevor family, the former chief local landowners. The church also contains some restored and painted roof carvings of buildings and strange looking animals and several examples of heraldic arms.

Add to itineraryView more information
parking

St Mary’s Church

Distance to here: km ( miles)

St Mary's church is an impressive Grade 1 listed building and is mostly 15th century with some remnants of an earlier building. It has a remarkable collection of 18th century memorials of the Myddelton family, former owners of Chirk Castle, and the Trevor family, the former chief local landowners. The church also contains some restored and painted roof carvings of buildings and strange looking animals and several examples of heraldic arms.

Add to itinerary
decor wave
decor wave

Attraction Information

  • Reccomended time here 1-2 hours
  • Location Chirk, Wrexham
parking
Add to itinerary

The church is partially built on 11th century Norman foundations, the north aisle and tower being constructed later around 1475. The unusual layout is double aisled, with no distinct chancel and only one small sanctuary. Much of the interior, especially the south isle, is dominated by carved memorials, principally to the Myddelton family.
The roof bosses are original to the late 15th century roof. These interesting wood carvings, repainted in the 1970s, represent a common medieval art form, and reflect not only Old Testament creatures but also mythological beasts. The castle boss is thought to represent Chirk Castle.
Famous historical connections include Frances Maude, the author of the hymn "Thine Forever", who is buried in the churchyard. The Welsh poet R.S. Thomas served his first curacy here from 1936 to 1941.